Oh my goodness – we just had a beautiful few days here in the Nation’s Capital. It felt like spring and looked like fall. You know what that means – the holidays will be here before you know it! Start thinking about your gift list now so you have enough time to enjoy all there is to do and see during the season. Our local gift guide offers great ideas for everyone on your list!
We love supporting local businesses and try to shop locally as much as we can. We rounded up our top 10 favorite local businesses in and around Washington, DC.
- Chocolate Chocolate – We have loved the sisters at Chocolate Chocolate for decades! They are warm and funny and friendly to everyone. Be sure to stop in at 1130 Connecticut Ave NW to see their regular offerings and their holiday specialties.
- Bambini Children’s Boutique – Specializing in fine layette and clothing for infants, toddlers, and children up to age 10, it also has an amazing selection of fun interactive and educational toys, games, and books for all ages. Looking for a special baby gift? Stop in to see blankets, towels, bibs, sound machines, and much more. Shipping, complimentary gift wrapping, and private appointments available. Located in Foxhall Square.
- Lili the First – This is a fun and funky multi-brand boutique of contemporary, independent designers from around the globe. Each designer brings a different point of view on design, so there is no specific style or “look” the boutique follows. It’s all about the sensation of each piece and the desire to stand out as an individual. At Wisconsin and P in Georgetown.
- Proper Topper – This local gem in Cathedral Commons has a ton of fun gifts that you can’t find anywhere else. It’s a go-to place for baby gifts, secret Santa gifts, fun novelty books, hats, scarves, and gloves, lovely home goods and jewelry. It’s a fun place to explore and you will definitely find a gift for someone on your list.
- Tugooh Toys – Unleash your child’s imagination at Georgetown‘s only toy store. Founded in 2007 with the premise of fostering children’s creativity and imagination, it is the Washington, DC area destination for eco-friendly and educational toys, games, books, and more for children of all ages. Visit at their new address at 1440 Wisconsin.
- Politics and Prose – DC’s premier independent bookstore and cultural hub. Politics and Prose is a DC-based business devoted to cultivating community and strengthening the common good through books, programs, and a respectful exchange of ideas. They are committed to exceptional customer service and to the values of independence, inclusion, and diversity. It’s just the best bookstore in DC, bar none! Visit them at 5015 Connecticut Ave NW.
- Shelter – Shelter is one of DC’s newest boutiques, located just across the street from Union Market. Shelter was founded by DC jewelry designer Mallory Shelter and features a curated selection of jewelry, accessories, and natural objects by independent designers. Mallory has definitely curated the most beautiful and thoughtful selection of gifts, from the Clare Vivier clutches and hand-beaded earrings and necklaces by Alchemilla Jewelry to Nightspace candles and ceramics from a local artist. Shelter is home to nearly 100 independent designers from around the country.
- Take Care – In the heart of Georgetown, Take Care is an all-natural skincare, beauty, and lifestyle shop that offers an essential collection of plant-based and independent-label brands for your skin, body and home. If you know someone who loves skincare, essential oils, or natural makeup, definitely stop by to check it out.
- Penny Post – In Old Town Alexandria, Penny Post is the new stationery store from the owner of Red Barn Mercantile, and it’s seriously the cutest little shop with so many fun gift ideas. Books, notebooks, desk signs, fancy pens, art prints, mugs, and of course the absolute BEST greeting card selection in the DC area! And of course, walk just 1/2 block east to the sister store Red Barn Mercantile for home décor, tabletop pieces, cookbooks, barware, accessories, kid gifts, and lots more. Both stores are on King St.
- Family Portraits – What’s the gift that parents, grandparents, and spouses all love? How about family portraits hung on your walls to cherish every day. Your parents or grandparents will love this gift. If you don’t have time for a session before the holidays, consider a a gift card from Lisa Maco Photography for family portraits. Located in Foxhall Village.
We will definitely be supporting these incredible local businesses over the next few months. We love getting to know our business community. As your stress-free family portrait studio, did you know that we deliver all your art products and will install wall art as well? Why? Because we don’t want to add stress to your life. If you’re interested in scheduling your session, please get in touch!